Review: Mean Streak by Sandra Brown

Mean Streak - Sandra Brown

There are some authors I don't read very often.  Not because they don't write well or have interesting stories to tell, but in essence their books don't always call to me.  I've read a few by Sandra Brown but I pick and choose which ones.  I found Mean Streak on NetGalley and thought, "why not?".  I'm glad I did!

What I liked: I loved the twists and turns to this story.  A couple of things I figured out but the characters really surprised me.  There's mystery surrounding several of the characters and Ms Brown kept you guessing with each little tidbit she added as the story progressed.  I think the most open and readable character is the heroine, Emory.  She's pretty upfront and at first I thought she might be too weak to carry the story.  She more than surprised me.

Of course, you figure out pretty quickly that the man with no name isn't the real bad guy.  The problem is trying to figure out who is.  Ms Brown provides several characters for you to loath but is there another twist? I guess I was in the right frame of mind for Mean Streak to keep me totally engrossed.  I did not want to put it down.

What I didn't like:  I was getting frustrated with two things in this book.  I wanted the hero to have a name and I wasn't sure what all the jumping around was about.  Several times the story is told by a different character and it just seemed to interrupt the flow.  Believe me, it more than makes sense the closer to the end you get so hang in there!

Overall, Mean Streak really surprised me.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and happy to recommend it to romantic suspense fans!

Source: http://www.justtalkingbooks.com/blog/review-mean-streak-by-sandra-brown