Review: The Keeper of Lost Causes (Afdeling Q #1)by Jussi Adler-Olsen

And now for something completely different.  I wanted to know what all the hoopla was about with the new foreign authors.  I'd seen this on Amazon and Goodreads as being a top rated seller.

What I liked:  I loved the lead character, Carl Morck.  There was something endearing but tough about not only his attitude but his outlook after he suffered a horrible situation.  He almost doesn't care and is willing to say and do what he thinks.  It gives his character alot of leeway in all of his dealings.  The other thing I liked about Carl was that he was very smart in playing the political games within his department.  He is devious in getting what he wants.  He reminds me a bit of Peter Faulk in Columbo. (Yes, I'm old).  I absolutely want to know more about Carl's assistant, Assad.  There's more there to be revealed, I think

The book flips back and forth between years and characters.  I like how it was incorporated into the storyline.  The mystery was okay even though I figured it out, it was interesting to see how Ms. Adler-Olsen developed it.  The writing is top notch and I'm not sure who should get the credit, the author or the translator.

What I didn't like:  There were a few spots, here and there, that seemed to drag but they were few and far between.

The pricing on The Keeper of Lost Causes was a shocker.  I bought the Kindle edition with a gift card (thank goodness) and it was $10.99.  The paperback isn't much better at $12.63.  If you're interested in trying Mr. Adler-Olsen's work, check it out at the library first.

Recommend

Source: http://www.justtalkingbooks.com/1/post/2014/01/review-the-keeper-of-lost-causesafdeling-q-1byjussi-adler-olsen.html