Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra #9)

Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra #9) - Michelle Sagara I wait anxiously each year for the continuing saga of Private Kaylin Neva. The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara and I go way back. In all those years, I've become more and more of a fan. I am not a typical Sci-Fi reader. I have no idea why, they just usually don't hold my attention or strike a chord. This series has done that and more.

By no means are any of these novels quick, easy reads. If you don't commit, you won't enjoy or "get" the novels. At one point I was struggling to get through the latest entry and on a whim, I thought, maybe, I should try the audio book. Excellent choice on my part. While I will continue to purchase the books, I will actually listen to the novel. It opened up some part of me.

What I liked: The world building in the whole series is fantastic. I don't believe I've read a series where this has been done so well. This story arc through the last 3 books has taken me on a ride that I don't want to end. More and more information on the supporting cast of characters is revealed (there are a lot of supporting characters). Kaylin's ever changing relationships with all of the characters keeps me coming back for more and I don't even want to think about the end of this series.

What I didn't like: Occasionally, I get frustrated because I feel I am missing some of the symbolism in Ms Sagara's writing. Usually, if I hang in there, it becomes clear. Other than that, the Chronicles of Elantra are enchanting.

You cannot read this series out of order or as stand alone novels. You have to commit to taking the journey with Kaylin and her friends and enemies.

I love this series!!